Creative Pep Talk Episode 50 – SPECIAL!

Creative Pep Talk

This show aims to help freelance illustrators make money making awesome work. The host, graphic illustrator Andy J. Miller, tries to bring some strategy and clarity to your creative career.

We made it! It’s episode 50! WOW can not believe.

We have new theme music from WHY? (the band).

We have a new brand!

To help celebrate I invited some of my favorite (creative) people along for the party. I asked these folks to tell us a tip they wish they had 5 years ago.

Listen in to the wisdom of Mikey Burton, Kate Bingaman-Burt, Daniel Fishel, Don Clark from Invisible Creature, Rilla, Matt Stevens, Darren Booth, Erik Marinovich, Mary Kate McDevitt and Andrew Neyer!

WOOHOO!

This episode features the song ‘January Twenty Something’ and ‘Berkeley by Horseback’ by WHY?

Listen to more episodes:

IllustrationAge.com/creativepeptalk

Andy J. Miller’s Website

iTunes

Tags: ,

Categories: Podcast

Author:Andy J. Miller

Andy J. Miller is an American illustrator who works with the likes of Nickelodeon, IDEO, Chronicle Books, Converse, Sony, Smart Car, Mental Floss, Real Simple and Bloomberg. He's most known for his self-generated work, The Indie Rock Coloring Book, The NOD daily drawing project, the collaborative exhibit Color Me ______ with Andrew Neyer and his podcast Creative Pep Talk. www.andy-j-miller.com

Don't miss a thing!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

10 Comments on “Creative Pep Talk Episode 50 – SPECIAL!”

1. Marie Coons
    August 7, 2015 at 11:42 am #

Thanks Andy, I just finished listening to your 50th podcast. Congratulations! I really do APPRECIATE what you bring to every talk. I have a question that came up for me as I was listening. Right now, I am in need of mentors in my creative career. Is it too weird to reach out to people who’s work I admire and ask them to take a look at my work? And what are your thoughts about illustrators that offer mentoring services for a fee? I’m a bit skeptical of it but if I admire their work I perhaps have something to gain from their feedback…

• August 10, 2015 at 11:01 am #

Hey Marie!
      I always say that you should look to the artists a few steps ahead, and go ahead and reach out. I wouldn’t ask them outright to be your mentor, but I think asking for feedback on a portfolio is really helpful! See what happens from there!

I have people I consider mentors that started this way.

As for paying. I think it depends. I offer a service in the way via my patreon. Why do I do this? It’s purely time. There are many many people who would like me to mentor them, and I just do not have enough time. Here’s what I like about this model: it puts people’s money where their mouth is. Everything is transactional. The mentor should get something out of it even it’s just feeling good for helping someone. The thing that really sucks for mentors are mentee’s that don’t take the advice, don’t put any of the time you spend with them to work. Having this paid relationship means they are more likely to put it to work or why would they keep paying?

For instance, it’s proven that those who win conference tickets don’t engage any as many talks / workshops as those who pay.

Here’s the other reason I like this system. Some people are better mentors than others and in some ways mentors are the most effective form of art education, but the most talented artists are also the busiest! This is a solution that works for me, but I do think it’s smart to be careful!!

• August 15, 2015 at 4:23 pm #

Thanks Andy for your help and insights. I will definitely do some research and be a bit braver about reaching out to professionals that I admire (you’re one of them, btw!). I hope you come to New York for a speaking engagement some time – that would be great.

2. August 7, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

“Talent amounts to little and it’s much more about desire and work ethic”
    I love the last artist’s tip (about pricing), and yours too! Thanks for taking the time to share knowledge and inspire! :D

• August 10, 2015 at 10:51 am #

Thanks Jeca! Means a lot. Yeah, there pricing stuff can be pretty tough!

3. August 9, 2015 at 8:44 am #

Always a great episode, this one especially informative. Good to hear different perspectives, and a special thanks to you Andy for bringing it all full circle looking forward to 50+ more episodes. Thanks for keeping us all pepped up!

“There was a moment when I changed from an amateur to a professional. I assumed the burden of a profession, which is to write even when you don’t want to, don’t much like what you’re writing, and aren’t writing particularly well.” -Agatha Christie, An Autobiography

4. Iris
    August 15, 2015 at 2:46 pm #

Thank you for such helpful interviews and tips!
    I like listening to your podcasts.

Thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s